Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Mind of the Maker


There is nothing new under the sun. You know how you are just hanging out with God and He shows you something and you go, "Wow, that is so cool. I have never seen that before!"? But you have seen it before, probably, just a little different facet of it....Or even if you haven't, you might think, "Wow, no one has ever thought this before!" Well, doggone it!! There is nothing new under the sun!!

When K and I were visiting Gma and Gpa earlier this summer and we were picking up rocks and shells on the beach, I found it interesting what he saw as "beautiful" versus what I picked out. You know how we see the world anew through our children's eyes? I realized that God delights in us delighting in His creation. The mere fact of K picking up a rock and thinking some aspect of it is beautiful allows God to see His creation anew, through K's eyes. And the same with you and me. When we appreciate something, or think some thought, we take what God has made and give it back to Him, as seen through our eyes, and He is seeing it anew.

I was thinking one day, not all that long ago, as Gordon was speaking, how similar what he was saying was to the things God had shown me recently. And I thought, even if he were uttering ideas I had written, it would still be different, having gone through the filter of Gordon, and would be colored by his experiences and his personality, and it would be new.

What a concept!!! But it's not new....

I was reading Dorothy Sayers "The Mind of the Maker" last night (yeah, by the end of the year I will have read 3 books --write THAT one on the calendar!). Anyway, she writes "When the writer's Idea is revealed or incarnate by his Energy, then, and only then, can his Power work on the world. More briefly and obviously, a book has no influence till somebody can read it.

"Before the Energy was revealed or incarnate it was ... already present in Power within the creator's mind, but now that Power is released for communication to other men, and returns from their minds to his with a new response. It dwells in them and works upon them with creative energy, producing in them fresh manifestations of Power."

.....and returns from their mind to his with a new response... This is worth pondering.

No comments: