Saturday, May 23, 2015

My Long Sleep (part 2) Waking Up

My Long Sleep (part 2)

Forgive me if this seems disjointed.  These memories are all a jumble in my head. I have tried to sort them into when they probably occurred by comparing them to what I know, my husband and daughter’s notes, what other people have said, etc. 

The first day I really remember after Easter is April 17.  I’m glad I remember that day.  I’m sure I was on some wonderful drugs—Provigil, for one, to help restart my brain, since it didn’t seem to want to wake up from the coma I was in.  I was also on some medications that the doctors told my family would make me not remember much of what I went through.  I was also on some medications I would not have let them give me had I been conscious, so I apologize for what I did or said while on those medications…

On April 17, I have a memory of Alex DePue’s silhouette (and if you have ever seen his hair, you would know you CAN actually recognize him by his silhouette) and Miguel’s guitar and silhouette, and “Classical Gas”, one of my favorite songs.  I don’t know why I remember them in silhouette, other than I have very little visual memory of events, almost like my sound recorder was working but not my visual one.  This is a little taste of what Alex and Miguel sound like.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pycdoWOUrO0   I couldn’t find a recording of them playing Classical Gas, but here is Mason Williams playing it (he wrote it).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEzyrpfrPEI   Note:  Mason has a whole lot of strings with him, but Alex is his own orchestra!!  Except for the horns, it pretty much sounded like this.

What a wonderful thing to be the first thing you wake up to!  I remember bits and pieces of other things.  I remember being sung to.  I remember waking up with a song in my heart, a song we sing from church.  I know that Francine must have come and sung it to me, but I remember waking up trying to sing it.  “You dance over me, while I am unaware….”  You can listen to it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qVkzdK6N20 .  This is the song I woke up singing. 

When I finally did come to, I had such a sense of being loved, like I have never had before, and an absolute loss of fear.  I didn’t know where I was, when it was, who I was, or that I was even sick.  I didn’t even really know I couldn’t move.  But I had a lack of fear like I have never known.  I wasn’t conscious of time or family or work or home.  I had no thought of things I wasn’t getting done.  I didn’t know I had children.  I didn’t KNOW anything.  Most of all, I knew no fear—and I have thought over these past weeks how to describe that to you, but I’m not sure I ever will be able to.  I had no fear of failure, no fear of what other people would think.  It was like being a young child, crawling into your parent’s lap and having them hold you tight and say, “it’s okay.  It’s gonna be okay.”  And you totally believe them, because they are grown-up and can do anything and know everything.  It was a peace like I have never known, a peace I want to hang onto, a peace that I don’t have to DO anything or BE anything—that I’m okay, that it’s all okay—and there was such a joy that came with that. 

And my mind started to look for the familiar.  I had a nurse who looked like my cousin Julie, and she was so kind, and she ended all of her sentences with ‘eh?’.  I looked for my friends’ daughters, I looked for my cousins, I looked for people from church.  I looked, I called.  I needed familiar.  Nothing was familiar.  I’m not even sure I was remembering things from day to day or from hour to hour. I think the nurses had to keep telling me their names over and over and I think I probably said the same things to them over and over, “You look like Julie,”  or “You look like Sarah.”  I thought of my dog.  I needed to see my dog.  During this time, my dog ran away from home and he made his way to the pool…not the same pool I had gone to, but I’m sure it smelled the same.  I think he was looking for me too. 

I was so glad to see people I really did know, Mike Tucker and Marvie and Merle Tish.  Gary, Keary and Laura came nearly every day and they felt like I recognized them.  (Gary said I smiled when I saw them so he was pretty sure I could see, even though I don’t remember seeing much.)  Linda came…I know for a while, it seemed like a pretty steady flow of people, and please forgive me for not remembering who…it’s all very fuzzy—I blame the drugs. 

I’m sure I didn’t start talking until they took me off the ventilator, on the 15th.  I do remember trying really hard to ask for things like orange juice and applesauce.  I think they probably fed me thickened orange juice with a spoon.  I have a very vague memory of icy orange juice, like slushy almost.  And I remember trying really hard to say “orange juice” and how hard that was and how I sounded like a drunk when I said it.  And I think they fed me applesauce and I tried so hard to say applesauce.  And it all tasted so good and I was so thirsty and my tongue was so sore (and is STILL sore) from the defibrillator.  I remember trying to talk even when people weren’t around.  I remember someone asked me if I had children and I didn’t know.  But something in my brain started dredging up memories…I didn’t know who I was really, but I remembered I had a daughter—and I recognized her when I saw her—and I remembered I had a son, and I knew him when I saw him too.  And even if my mind would not have remembered them, all my emotions did, because I remember the joy at seeing them—how beautiful they were/are and how happy it made me to see them.  And I remember saying, even if there was no one around to hear, over and over and over, so I would never forget again, “I have a daughter Laura.  She’s beautiful.  And I have a son, Keary.”  I know someone must have heard me at least once because someone asked, “That’s an interesting name.  How do you spell that?”  I didn’t remember that Gary couldn’t drive.  I didn’t remember that we didn’t own a car.  I didn’t remember a lot of things about my life, about me.  Funny how we still are ourselves, even when we don’t know who we are….Gary said I still had my sense of humor.  It was one of the first things to come back. 

Someone asked how long Gary and I had been married and I couldn’t remember and couldn’t figure it out, so I told them what Gary always says when he can’t remember, “Not nearly long enough.”  So Gary became known to some of the staff as Mr. Not-Nearly-Long-Enough.  

I remember getting a little physical therapy at RiverBend.  I knew I needed to get up.  I wanted to move.  I remember trying to get up in the night, but my legs would not move well and the best I could do was to bend them up on the bed and my foot would step on the catheter hose and it would pull and hurt, so I would try the other foot.  I think I probably went back and forth with my feet all night, first trying one then the other.  When they had moved me out of ICU I was awake and aware enough that I wanted to go home, I wanted my dog and I wanted OUT of that place.  It was so cold and dark and lonely and I wanted familiar.    The ceiling looked weird and far away, like things do when you are drugged.  I felt like I needed to go to the bathroom and I could see a little light on the wall that I thought was a switch for the bathroom and I was grabbing for things that weren’t tied down and trying to throw them at the light on the wall to turn the light on so I could see where I was, so I could get up and go to the bathroom.  Long, long hours awake in the dark (I don’t know if it was really dark or if I just couldn’t see…).  I know there was something on my left but I couldn’t see it.  I tried to reach for it, but there was nothing that wasn’t attached and it felt wet—I don’t know if I spilled water or pudding or what have you…I could not see to the left at all. I remember someone coming in and saying, “Oh my” but nothing more.  I couldn’t get up and I couldn’t figure out why and my chest hurt when I tried to and I didn’t know why things weren’t working…I didn’t know I was sick,  I didn’t know I was paralyzed.  I didn’t know I was tied down.  But I was sure kicking my legs a lot that night. 

They would come in every day and ask me if I knew what day it was and where I was.  Then they would tell me.  It’s April 18 and you are at RiverBend in Springfield.  I remember telling them, “It’s my brother’s birthday, I need to call my brother.” But I didn’t know his number and even if I did, I sure could not work the stupid phone (I think you need a PhD for that).  When I would look out the window it was all white, bright and sunny, glaringly white, and so I would tell them I was in Hawaii.  That kind of became my go-to lline.  “It’s April something and I’m in Hawaii.”  Finally, one nurse got really irritated at me and said, “you know, you won’t get to go home until you answer correctly.”  Then one day I could actually see the cars driving on the road outside and I asked a nurse, “What road is that?” (All this time it had just looked like ocean or white sand to me) and she said, “That’s Pioneer Parkway.” And then it clicked, I wasn’t at RiverBend in Hawaii, I was at RiverBend in Springfield/Eugene.  Something familiar.  Something I knew.  “Hey, the best nurse ever is on the orthopedic floor, Parma.  You should go meet him.  Tell him I said hi.”  And at some point I remember Parma sticking his head in.  “I heard you were here, just wanted to check on you.”     


I kept telling them I needed to get up and walk.  I kept telling them I needed physical therapy.  Finally, a few days later, they did get me up.  They had me stand by this machine and they strapped me in and told me to walk, to “drive it like you stole it” and I was happy and I walked, all the way to the end of the hall and back and it felt so good, and I was so tired by the end.  And then they let me use a machine to stand up  and they would wheel me to the toilet and let me go…and wheel me back. ….  After two weeks in bed, it was all I could do to stand, but my desire was stronger than my legs were weak, and my will was stronger than my chest was sore.    I got so frustrated with them, though because if I was lucky, I got to get up once per day….if I was lucky.  Sometimes not even that.  I started protesting and getting depressed, refusing to eat.  So they decided to put me in rehab.  None too soon and good riddance RiverBend!!!  

No comments: